Wednesday, June 22, 2005

more introductions

I suppose I should talk a little bit about what this blog is about, now that I've decided upon a focus.
All Over the Map is an online journal of my writing life. I've been writing for publication for 22 years. I'm 36; yes, I got started early. I'm currently the managing editor of an alumni magazine for the university in the city where I live, and I'm trying to build up my freelance writing practice.
I've been working on the freelancing part for most of those 22 years I've been writing professionally.
I feel like I'm at a crossroads with my writing. I developed a style very early on that tends to be very witty, but often only surface-level satisfying. I'm sort of burnt out on my own style. I want to take my writing to another level--a deeper, more nuanced level.
My current job has forced me to evaluate my knowledge of nonfiction writing as I've worked with other writers. I feel as if I've learned a lot in the 8.5 months I've been there. However, I still have a long way to go, particularly where structure and storytelling are concerned.
I want to share what I'm doing with my writing, the resources I'm finding helpful, and how my writing life is an integral part of my whole life.
I hope you'll join me for the journey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home