Tuesday, December 26, 2006

the true meaning of Christmas


My favorite presents this Christmas weren't things I got, although between Christmas and my "early" birthday gifts (my birthday is New Year's Eve), I made out just fine.






This is a ThingMaker, originally made circa 1967. It was Scooter's favorite toy as a child. After I found this out in an internet "holiday quiz" a week before Christmas, I conspired with two friends to buy one for her. Several Ebay auctions and rush postage payments later, we surprised her with it over pizza and wings on Saturday.
I've never been very good at surprise gifts, so I am pleased at myself for being able to pull it off (with a lot of help). But the look on her face when she opened the present, and all the memories it unleashed for her--that was priceless.

Will I feel the same way when we move into our townhouse and she's cooking up melted plastic creatures in our kitchen? I don't know, but for now it's been the most holiday fun I've had in a long, long time.

The other holiday joy, of course, was the grandson. He's 17 months, and just old enough to thoroughly enjoy the season without getting really attached to it. Here he is with his beloved balloons, brought to him by Scooter on Christmas morning.






And here he is with baby's first power tools--his daddy got him a toy circular saw (pictured) and a toy chainsaw. Note the maniacal gleam in his eye. :)





And here he is resting after his gift-opening labors.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home