Sunday, October 09, 2005

Two thoughts for the day

Be a rebel--Be kind
A friend of mine, at the end of a retreat, offered a provocative reflection that intrigued and inspired me. After looking intensively at her inner experience for nine days of meditation and seeing many of her life choices in a brand new light, she commented, "If you really want to be a rebel, practice kindness."
There could be many wonderful extrapolations: "If you really want to be outrageous, be ethical." "If you want to go against the grain, be kindhearted." "If you want to live on your own terms, breaking out from expectation and external demands, practice love." "To be free, to be different, to be bold, be compassionate."
By Sharon Salzberg
Excerpted from The Force of Kindness.


Instructions
Give up the world; give up self; finally, give up God.
Find god in rhododendrons and rocks,
passers-by, your cat.
Pare your beliefs, your absolutes.
Make it simple; make it clean.
No carry-on luggage allowed.
Examine all you have
with a loving and critical eye, then
throw away some more.
Repeat. Repeat.
Keep this and only this:what your heart beats loudly for
what feels heavy and full in your gut.
There will only be one or two
things you will keep,
and they will fit lightly
in your pocket.

By Sheri Hostetler, from the anthology A Cappella: Mennonite Voices in Poetry

1 Comments:

At 7:49 PM, Blogger Chixulub said...

Is this like when I get so pissed off in traffic that I get hyper-courteous? I've only had one road-rage incident since adopting this policy, that when those around me are being totally rude, I just accomodate the shit out of them.

Well, there was the guy who flashed his brights at me because I wouldn't speed in a construction zone that was down to one late and had shoulder work that kept him from passing on the right. I drove 15mph for several miles until it opened back up, which is probably the opposite of what you're advocating. 15mph and tapping my breaks periodically to freak him out. I guess I'll get a bullet in the back of the head doing that eventually.

If I do it again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home